It occurred to me that I failed to post something for last Monday’s marriage Monday, so please forgive me. At HomeWord a couple of weeks ago, we looked at the role of the wife. In the application time, we focused on the following areas highlighted by Martha Peace in her wonderful work, The Excellent Wife. She gives the following:
EIGHTEEN WAYS A WIFE MAY BE THE GLORY OF HER HUSBAND:
1) Ask your husband, “What are your goals for the week?”
2) Ask your husband, “How can I help you accomplish these goals?”
3) Ask your husband, “Is there anything that I can do differently that would make it easier for you?”
4) Be organized with cleaning, grocery shopping, laundry, and cooking. As you fulfill your God-given responsibilities, your husband is then free to do his work.
5) Save some of your energy every day for him.
6) Put him first over the children, your parents, friends, job, ladies’ Bible studies, etc.
7) Willingly and cheerfully rearrange your schedule for him when necessary.
8) Talk about him in a positive light to others. Do not slander him at all, even if what you are saying is true.
9) Do whatever you can to make him look good, to accomplish his goals. Some examples are offer to run errands for him, organize your day to be available to him with his projects, pray for him and make good suggestions. Give him the freedom not to use your suggestion, and do not be offended if he does not follow it.
10) Consider his work (job, goals, hobbies, work for the Lord) as more important than your own.
11) Think of specific ways that you can help him accomplish his goals. Examples are get up early in the mornings to help him get off to work having had a good breakfast, take care in recording telephone messages for him, anticipate any needs he may have in order to attain a specific goal, and keep careful records of money spent to keep up with the budget.
12) Consider the things that you are involved in. How do they glorify your husband? Ask his guidance.
13) Be warm and gracious to his family and friends. Make your commitment to him obvious to them.
14) Do and say things that build him up instead of tear him down.
15) Dress and apply your makeup in an attractive manner that is pleasing for your husband.
16) When your husband sins, reprove him privately and gently, always giving him hope and pointing him to the Lord.
17) Encourage him to use his spiritual gifts in ministry.
18) Realize that just as God is glorified when man obeys Him, your husband is glorified when you obey your husband.
As you can see from her suggestions, being a godly wife is a high calling. I hope today you are encouraged, ladies, to realize that God has given you the grace for this kind of following. Cling to Him and watch Him do wonderful things through you.